The Practical Nursing program is designed to prepare students with the necessary knowledge, attitude, skills and abilities to obtain entry-level employment as a Practical Nurse in hospital settings, physician offices, clinical settings, long term care facilities, home health care services, residential care facilities, schools, and governmental agencies.
The Practical Nursing program will focus on caring for the sick, injured, convalescent, and disabled under the direction of physicians and registered nurses while practicing ethical, moral principles and standard of practice that are specific to the practical nurse. Students will be trained in the interdisciplinary components of practical nursing, including classroom, laboratory, simulation, and supervised clinical practice using evidenced and theory-based concepts. Classroom and lab study will be set up to learn from a simple to complex format and will consist of but not limited to basic nursing concepts and include patient care related subject matter. The program includes clinical rotations in which students will practice in the hospitals, specialty clinics, day care settings, long term care facilities, physician offices, residential facilities, and home health care settings. Note: Practical Nursing students will train under the direct supervision of a Nursing Instructor who meets all the standards of the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing.
The Practical Nursing program at Great Lakes Institute of Technology is approved by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing, PO Box 2649, Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649, (717) 783-7142, firstname.lastname@example.org, and is recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN), number US25110200. The program is in Provisional Approval status.
This program offers a hybrid learning experience. Students complete coursework online and complete hands-on learning on-campus.
Graduates of this program are trained and eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN licensure examination. Once passing the exam, graduates may apply for licensure to become a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). In Pennsylvania, graduates are not permitted to work as a Practical Nurse without a valid PA license. The school cannot guarantee licensure or certification.
- Basic Math for Nursing
- Medical Terminology Essentials
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Leadership and Career Success
- Human Growth & Development
- Fundamentals of Nursing I
- Mental Health Nursing
- Pharmacology for Nursing I
- Practical Nursing I
- Fundamentals of Nursing II
- Fundamental of Nursing Lab II
- Practical Nursing Rotation I
- Pediatric Nursing
- Practical Nursing II
- Pharmacology for Nursing II
- Practical Nursing Rotation II
- Maternal/Newborn Nursing
- Practical Nursing III Lab
- Critical Thinking Skills in Nursing
- Practical Nursing Rotation III
- NCLEX Certification Review
- Prioritizing, Delegation, and Patient Assignment
- Practical Nursing Rotation V
Practical Nursing Job Placement Sites
Below is a list of employers who recently hired graduates of the Practical Nursing Program
- Millcreek Community Hospital, Erie PA
- LECOM Health Nursing and Rehabilitation, Erie PA
- Wexford Health/Erie, Erie PA
- Department of Military & Veterans Affairs – Soldiers and Sailors Home, Erie PA
- Country Club Retirement Campus at Ashtabula, Ashtabula Oh
- Sarah Reed Senior Living, Erie PA
- Twinbrook HCRC, Erie PA
- Dedicated Nursing Associates, Pittsburgh PA
- LECOM Senior Living Center, Erie PA
Jauntel Mason - LPN
Twinbrook Medical Center
I think the Practical Nursing program at Great Lakes Institute of Technology is great. I like the experience that I was given and the time that the teachers took to help us after hours when we needed it.
Jessica Kuroda - LPN
What I liked about the Great Lakes nursing program is they prepared me to take my boards and taught me so much in such a short period of time. I walked away learning how to be a strong nurse. My instructors were very supportive.