The following admissions requirements must be met in order for a student to be accepted to Great Lakes. No student will be permitted to attend classes until documentation of all admissions requirements are received and the applicant has toured the campus.
- Minimum score on the Wonderlic SLE. Applicants who have previously attended an accredited post-secondary institution may be exempt and may be eligible for acceptance based on the submission of an official transcript reflecting successful completion of the equivalent of 30 college credits. Minimum score for Cosmetology Operator is 10; Minimum score for Surgical Technologist is 17. Minimum score for Practical Nursing is 18. All other programs are 14.
The following additional requirements apply to applicants to the Diagnostic Medical Sonographer program only.
- Provide documentation of prerequisite coursework taken at the post-secondary level, reflecting a grade of B (80%) or higher on an official transcript from an accredited institution.
- College algebra, statistics, or higher mathematics
- General physics or radiographic physics
- Write and present a Career Exploration research paper to a panel committee.
- Complete an 8-hour Job Shadow, at the hospital or imaging facility, shadowing an Ultrasound Technician with registry in general or abdominal sonography.
- Conduct a personal interview with the Program Director to discuss an educational plan and career goals.
The following additional requirements apply to applicants to the Practical Nursing program only.
- Evidence of a physical exam and updated proof of immunization to include MMR, Varicella, 2-part PPD, Hepatitis and Tdap
- Results of a 9-panel urine drug screen
The following additional requirements apply to applicants of the Surgical Technologist program only.
- High school or college transcript or equivalent reflecting a grade of “C” or higher in Algebra or equivalent math; and Biology, Anatomy or equivalent
The following additional requirements apply to applicants of the Cosmetology Teacher program only.
- Proof of licensure as a Cosmetologist in Pennsylvania
Admissions Policy and Procedures
- Contact an Admissions Representative to schedule a time to visit the school for a personal interview and tour the campus. Prospective students may apply prior to the touring the campus, but will not be permitted to attend classes until the tour has been completed.
- Complete an application for admission.
- Provide documentation of completing all applicable admission requirements.
- Submit to the PA State Police criminal record check. The results of the record check are valid for 1 year. Applicants with any misdemeanors or felonies may be required to meet with the Director or Director of Education for a personal interview prior to final acceptance.
- Meet with the financial aid department to discuss tuition and fees and payment options.
More information can be obtained by calling our admission representatives.
Credit for Previous Learning
Applicants requesting credit for previous learning must forward an official transcript to Great Lakes Institute of Technology for consideration. The Director of Education will review the transcript for comparable course work and may grant credit for previous learning from an accredited institution if the school deems that the course objectives are comparable and completed within a timeframe so as to permit the student to be successful in his or her studies at Great Lakes. Typically, credits earned within the last 10 years will be considered. If awarded, the student will be advanced to the appropriate level and a tuition credit will occur.
Requests for credit for previous learning must be made prior to beginning a course, and no credit will be given after the first day of class. Only courses with an earned grade of a C or better will be considered. The school has the right to deny or limit the number of the credits/hours accepted.
Transfer credits/hours are not computed in or used to determine grade point average. Credits transferred in to the program are counted as attempted and earned credits for purposes of calculating satisfactory academic progress.
In the cosmetology programs, hours of previous training documented and approved by the Pennsylvania Cosmetology Licensing Board may be recognized. TONI&GUY will only accept up to 420 clock hours completed from an organization that is not an approved TONI&GUY academy. A student transferring from another cosmetology school must provide:
- An official transcript from the original school listing the hours earned by the student.
- In the case of a student transferring hours from an out-of-state school, verification from the appropriate licensing authority that the other school is licensed in that state.
The school currently has an articulation agreement with Clarion University and Seneca Highlands Career and Technical Center.
Transfer of Credit
The question of transfer of credit to other institutions cannot be guaranteed. Any coursework completed at Great Lakes may or may not be accepted by other institutions for various reasons, including differences between the school’s accrediting agencies and the accrediting agencies of other institutions.
Therefore, prior to enrolling at Great Lakes, students planning on continuing their education at another institution after leaving Great Lakes should make contact with that institution to determine if any credits earned or clock hours completed by the student at Great Lakes will be accepted at that institution.
By attending Great Lakes, the student accepts the risk that some or all of the credits and hours earned/completed at the school may not be accepted by any other institution to which the student may later transfer.
The school maintains articulation agreements with the following entities.
Graduates of the Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (DMS) program who are professionally credentialed as a DMS through the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) will be accepted into the Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging Sciences degree program at Clarion as a degree completion program. Such individuals will be awarded 60 block-style clinical credits by Clarion within the degree program and then must complete all other academic requirements at Clarion in order to be awarded the degree.
Seneca Highlands Career and Technical Center (SHCTC)
Health Assistant students have the opportunity to earn advanced placement credit toward the completion of the Medical Assistant , Medical Office Assistant, or Health Information Technology program by passing a comprehensive final for the Medical Terminology and Anatomy courses. Students who pass the comprehensive exam will be awarded course credit and the students’ tuition will be adjusted.
Corry Area School District (CASD)
Health Occupation students have the opportunity to earn advanced placement credit toward the completion of the Medical Assistant, Medical Office Assistant, or Health Information Technology programs by passing a comprehensive final for the Medical Terminology and Anatomy courses. Diversified Occupations students have the opportunity to earn advanced placement credit toward the completion of the Accounting Clerk, Administrative Office Professional, Health Information Technology, or Surgical Technologist program by passing a comprehensive final for the business writing and/or business communication courses. Students who pass the comprehensive exam will be awarded course credit and the students’ tuition will be adjusted.
Students wishing to take advantage of these articulation agreements should contact the Director of Education 30 days prior to the start of classes to make arrangements for taking the exams.